SITTING GROUP / DHARMA STUDY
Our group meets at The First Unitarian Universalist Church, 4190 Front St, San Diego, Room 323
Room 323 is on the second floor of the two-story building on the right after you enter the gate.
The Insight San Diego sitting group/dharma study meets on Saturday mornings from 10-11:30 a.m., with an optional group meditation beginning at 9:30. The meeting will formally begin at 10 a.m. with group introductions and check in followed by a dharma talk and group sharing.
Question? Please contact Irene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Noble Eightfold Path Series
In September 2018 we began an exploration of the Buddha’s Noble Eightfold Path. The Noble Eightfold Path along with the Four Noble Truths are the essence of the Buddha's teachings. The eight path factors are: Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration.
Additional readings and practices are offered weekly and no previous experience is required to attend - the Eightfold Path is accessible to anyone at any level. Drop-ins are always welcome. To suppliment our group's activities, listen to the talks available via our our self-study page.
Newcomers as well as people new to meditation are always welcome to the group. Drop-ins are welcome. We ask that everyone sign up so that we can plan better. By registering you will receive emails containing program information and other announcements, as well as have access to our online forum on Google Groups.
The focus of this group is traditional Buddhist topics such as the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Hindrances, the Three Characteristics, heart practices, etc. given by senior Vipassana teachers from Spirit Rock, Insight Meditation Society, Insight Meditation Center and other Vipassana centers.
Following a 2,500 year tradition known as Dana, the teachings and meditation sessions represented on this website are offered on a generosity (dana) basis. No one will be denied because they cannot pay. We are encouraging members to pay what their budget and hearts of generosity allow, and/or to sign up for monthly giving on our Donations page.
- Mindfulness in Plain English, Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- Meditation for Beginners, Jack Kornfield
- The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology, Jack Kornfield
- Mindfulness in Daily Life Activities*
- How to Practice Vipassana Insight Meditation
- Buddhism A-Z: 10 Buddhist books everyone should have
- Beginning with Buddhism and meditation — a Lion’s Roar guide
- Thousands of free dharma talks can also be found on audiodharma.org and dharmaseed.org.
- Mindful Sharing Guidelines
- Mindful Eating Instructions
- Eating meditation instruction, Andrea Fella
- Walking meditation instruction, Tara Brach
- Overview of the Meditation Practice by Gil Fronsdal
- See our Dharma Self-Study page for Talks on the Noble Eightfold Path
- Insight Timer
- Lotus Bud
Following a 2,500 year tradition in which the community financially supports the offerings provided, the teachings and meditation sessions in this group are offered on a generosity (Dana) basis. No one is turned away because they cannot give. We are encouraging members to give what their budget and hearts of generosity allow, and/or to sign up for monthly giving on Donations page.
By entering your information you will be included in our Google Groups and email notification system.